It pays for employers to file payroll taxes electronically
Posted on May 30th, 2019
A note: From our beginning, Greenshades has created solutions that make filing taxes easier. Payroll taxes are incredibly complex and complicated and e-filing is the best way to get these processes done quick and easy.
Courtesy of the Internal Revenue Service
Business owners who file payroll and employment taxes using paper forms should consider filing these electronically. Here are some of the forms employers can e-file:
- Form 940, Employer’s Annual Federal Unemployment Tax Return
Employers use this form to report annual Federal Unemployment Tax Act tax.
- Form 941, Employer’s Quarterly Federal Tax Return
Employers use this form to report income taxes, social security tax, or Medicare tax withheld from employee’s paychecks. They also use it to pay the employer’s portion of social security or Medicare tax.
- Form 943, Employer’s Annual Federal Tax Return for Agricultural Employees
Employers file this form if they paid wages to one or more farmworkers, and the wages were subject to social security and Medicare taxes or federal income tax withholding.
- Form 944, Employer’s Annual Federal Tax Return
Small employers use this form. These are employers whose annual liability for social security, Medicare, and withheld federal income taxes is $1,000 or less. These employers use this form to file and pay these taxes only once a year instead of every quarter.
- Form 945, Annual Return of Withheld Federal Income Tax
Employers use this form to report federal income tax withheld from nonpayroll payments.
There are several benefits to filing these forms electronically:
- It saves time.
- It’s secure and accurate.
- The filer gets an email to confirm the IRS received the form within 24 hours.
There are two convenient ways businesses can e-file:
- Employers submitting the forms themselves will need to purchase IRS-approved software. There may be a fee to file these electronically. Also, the software will require a signature by one of two options:
- The software instructs the user to apply for an online signature PIN. Taxpayers should allow at least 45 days to receive their PIN.
- The user can scan and attach Form 8453-EMP, Employment Tax Declaration for an IRS e file Return.
- Employers can have their tax professional file the form for them. The Authorized IRS e-file Providers for Individuals and Businesses can help employers locate an Electronic Return Originator near them.